Once Albert Einstein said that “A table, a chair, a bowl of fruit and a violin; what else does a man need to be happy.” My parents have always stressed that fruits should be integral part of our meals. Honestly how many of us take fruits in our daily meal. It is always good to have a bowl full of fruits on your meal table or in your refrigerator ready to be consumed. Some of my friends are fruit freaks and I am not a big fan of fruits. I have increased fruits in my daily diet and would like to increase it further. Let us look at benefits and ways to include fruits in your diet.
Now days, especially in the USA, you can get any fruit in any season, but the part of the world I grew up, we have seasons of different fruits, for example mango was the favorite during summer. We use to wait for the season for that specific fruit. Generally, it is recommended to buy fresh fruits in season when they may be less expensive and at their peak flavor.
A bowl of fruit is much better source of daily fibers than juice. Select fruits with more potassium often, such as bananas, prunes and prune juice, dried peaches and apricots, cantaloupe, honeydew melon, and orange juice.
- At breakfast, include banana or peaches in your cereal. You can add blueberries to your pancakes and drink pure (100%)
orange or grape fruit juice.
- Snack time Cut fruit could be great snack, healthy for sure not so tempting as your fries. Freshly cut fruits...
could be preferred as suppose to pre-cut packages. But, if you are lazy to cut fruits, go for the pre-cut ones like pineapples, melons. Otherwise go for fruits that do not need cutting, like blue berries, raspberries or grapes.
- At work you can go for dried fruits snack. They are easy to carry and store well. Because they are dried, ¼ cup is equivalent to ½ cup of other fruits.
- Wondering about the dinner, add pineapple in your coleslaw, or include mandarin oranges or grapes in a tossed salad.
- You can even try some fruits with your meat, like chicken with apricot or mango sauce
I found a good video at YouTube, which will give you 10 ways that you can use to integrate fruits in your diet. I found the tips interesting:
Though, I was not very much fond of fruits, but my father made sure that the family is eating adequate amount of fruits. I think you should set a good example for children by eating fruit everyday with meals or as snacks. Make fruits shopping a fun exercise for children, by letting them pick fruits. Also, they can help out by decorating plates or serving dishes with fruit slices. Decorate children’s dishes like make smiley in the bowl of cereal and make their fruit eating experience as fun.