Garlic has been in use for centuries all over the world. Apart from adding flavor to food, garlic is highly beneficial for health. For instance, my mother use to eat one clove of garlic to alleviate her gastric problems. Garlic promotes the well-being of the heart and immune systems due to its antioxidant properties and helps maintain healthy blood circulation. A recent study reveals that garlic oil can prevent cardiac myopathy, which is a leading cause of death amongst diabetics.
Researchers noted that people with diabetes have at least twice the risk of death from heart disease as others, with heart disease accounting for 80% of all diabetes-related deaths.
About the study
The study was conducted by Wei-Wen Kuo and colleagues in Taiwan. The scientists fed either garlic oil or corn oilto laboratory rats with diabetes. Animals that given garlic oil experienced beneficial changes associated with protection against heart damage. The results revealed that:
- The garlic oil rich diet reduced the cardiovascular complications in the rats compared to the ones who had been given corn oil.
- Garlic oil rich diet reported to reverse the effects of diabetes on cardiac output and the heart’s pumping capacity, which was dependent amount of given dose.
- Overall, diabetes related cardiac dysfunctions in the rats were dose-dependently relieved with garlic oil.
style="margin: 1px 12px;" title="Garlic-a-day" src="http://www.knowabouthealth.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/10/Garlic-a-day-150x150.jpg" alt="" width="112" height="112" />Researchers told that the changes were associated with the potent antioxidant properties of garlic oil. They found more than 20 substances in garlic oil that would be beneficial for cardiac health.
The study, published in the Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry.
Today garlic is a widely recognized health enhancing supplement and being used as an alternative treatment to prevent various diseases. New researches open further avenues of the beneficial effects of garlic and I believe people will certainly be taking advantages of such home remedies that exhibit condition specific health benefits with no side effects.
Source: Nutra Ingredients
- Indian subcontinent at higher risk of heart disease and diabetes
- Delhi CM endorses TOI heart disease awareness campaign
- Sanofi’s lixisenatide diabetes drug shows positive results
- Electric skin patch developed by Oplon shows promise in acne treatment
- Nasal insulin spray shows great promise for Alzheimer’s