The digestive system is an intricate system that can be disturbed by disease, diet, and emotional and environmental stress. The most common digestive problems include stomach gas stomach ache, heartburn and so on. Almost all digestive problems arise due to improper digestion. Our food habits such as eating junk foods are one of the most common factors of the problem. Some blame may go to our today’s environment. The water we drink is chlorinated and may be polluted with industrial waste; and the vegetable, fruits we eat may have some pesticides residues. All of these play a crucial role in causing indigestion. Here I would like to leave you with some simple home remedies that have been in use for several decades. These can treat or cure common digestion problems without hurting the environment and are affordable, won’t cause side effects and won’t interact with other drugs.
· Add a spoonful of lemon juice, one spoonful of ginger and two spoons of honey in a glass of lukewarm water. Mix them well and drink if you are facing indigestion.
· Mix equal parts of baking soda and water in a glass for immediate relief.
· Mix one teaspoon of cumin seeds (jeera) in a glass of water and drink it.
· A teaspoon of carom seeds or bishop’s weed (ajwain) with a little rock salt is a good home remedy.
· Chewing a small piece of fresh ginger with salt, five to ten minutes before meals, stimulates digestion.
Gas and gas pain are often caused by air you swallow when you eat or drink fast and breakdown of some indigested food by harmless bacteria. It is also made by the food you are digesting. High fiber foods such as beans, vegetables, fruits and grains can create a lot of gas. So can dairy foods for some people.
· Take one glass of boiling water and put two tablespoons of peach leaves in the water. Wait for 10 to 15 minutes and drink it. Repeat it 3 times in a day.
· You can drink peppermint tea or chamomile tea.
· Eat coriander seeds. It relieves you from both gas and gas pain.
· Drink carbonated water
· Take a cup of boiling water; add grinded ginger root and honey. Enjoy it as herbal tea.
Constipation refers to infrequent bowel movement or passage of small amounts of hard and dry bowel movements. It is the disturbance in the digestive tract that gives rise to many other ailments in the body.
text-align: justify; text-justify: inter-ideograph; text-indent: -.25in; line-height: 150%;">· Chronic constipation can be cured with high intake of figs dipped in water and taken in the morning time. This constipation remedy is very effective
· Mix 1/2 cup olive oil with 1/2 cup orange juice and drink.
· Drink hot water with sour lime juice and half a teaspoon of salt.
· Dip 10-12 seedless dry grapes in milk and boil the milk. Drink the milk separately and chew the grapes. This is more beneficial when taken at night.
· Fresh ginger can be ground and added to foods or taken in tea or capsule form. Herbalists recommend consuming 500mg of ginger with a full glass of water after each meal.
· Green tea has been used for centuries in Japan as an after dinner drink. Green teas aid the body in the digestion process, and help soothe the stomach’s sensitive tissue.
· Before meals, mix the juice of half a lemon and a pinch of salt into an 8 ounce glass of water and drink. After meals, try a teaspoon of honey to soothe your heartburn.
· Pomegranate seeds are used for your normal stomach ache. Take the seeds out of the pomegranate and put them in a bowl. Sprinkle the seeds with salt and black pepper and eat the seeds making sure to chew them all the way.
· Make regular hot tea and add honey or some freshly squeezed lemon juice. This will help in relaxing your stomach ache. Avoid adding sugar to your tea as it can take away beneficial effects of tea..
· Drink plain soda water, if your stomach ache is due to acidity. It will provide immediate relief from your pain.
· half a teaspoon of baking soda with 4 ounces of warm water, and then drink it. In an instant, it will make you belch.
Digestive health is vital to the overall health of our body. These home remedies have been in use for several decades and can do miracles in no time. People in India are inclined towards home remedies not only for improper digestion but for other common problems also. If I have complaint of digestive disorder, my first option usually is home remedies which are not only easy to use but poses no risk of side effect.