Obesity has been a health concern for many countries as it increases the likelihood of various diseases, particularly heart disease, type 2 diabetes and breathing difficulties. There are various weight loss programs available in the market such as weight loss diet, weight loss exercises or weight loss surgery and so on. An interesting study was released today, which revealed that people who surf internet regularly have more potential to lose weight.
We heard that sitting on computer for a long time can be troublesome for your eyes, back and can lead to carpel syndrome. This is one of the positive studies, I found related to health of the people.
About the study
The study is a randomized controlled trial which was conducted by Kaiser Permanente, UK. The study aimed to compare the web-based weight loss package with traditional dietary treatment of obesity provided within General Practice (GP) surgeries in Leeds, UK. Total 348 people participated in the study and were allowed to use the same Internet weight management program. Participants were encouraged to log in at least once a week, receiving e-mail reminders and follow-up automated phone messages if they did not. The participants were monitored for 2.5 years. The results revealed that
- Participants who consistently used the website throughout the 30-month study retained 44% of their initial weight loss.
- Participants who used the website infrequently regained all of the weight they lost initially during two years of follow-up
The article was published online in the Journal of Medical Internet Research.
- Sites that encourage accountability by asking users to consistently record weight, exercise, and calories consumed
- Sites that include tailored or personalized information
- Sites with interactive features that allow users to communicate with each other and with nutrition and exercise experts
- Sites with accurate health information.
The internet is a sea of information where you can find information on any topic of your interest. The information available on the internet is unregulated or may not be written by qualified people. You may find various sites claiming the guaranteed health solution without any substance. You should be smart enough to rely on the information you find and to follow the advice of the chosen website, in case of weight loss. However, I must agree that internet offers a fast approach to deliver the health information, enabling 24-hour access of help and advice.