Transformation of iPhone, Android phones and other smartphones into diagnostic medical device is growing at a rapid rate. CES 2011 was a good example, wherein we saw iPhone being used as blood pressure monitor, baby monitor and etc. In 2010 Dr. Peter Bentley released an iPhone app called iStethoscope that gives your iPhone ability to measure heart beat. Another app along these lines was developed and launched by Advanced Clinical Diagnostics (ACD, Inc), a Toledo, OH based company. The app is called iStethoscope Expert.
iStethoscope Expert is available free at iTunes and gives your iPhone capability to listen to your heart, lung, and bowel sounds. It appears that iStethoscope app from ACD, Inc has made some improvements over the iStethoscope app made from Dr. Bentley. The expert app has a built-in noise canceler that will help amplify the sound of interest.
The good thing is, if your device does not have a microphone or if you are interested in enhancing the sound, you use attach CardioTech electronic stethoscope peripheral by Zetris for $24.99.
Main features of the app include:
- Guides to heart, lung, and bowel sounds, including phonocardiograms, audio demonstrations and text explanations.
- Sound interpreters that help determine the underlying...
pathology of an abnormal sound.
- tethoscope sound library including over 60 sounds.
- Hear fetal heart sounds at 20 weeks.
- Record, send, and save sounds for review.
- Save and record sounds in phonocardiogram wav format.
- Add heart and lung sound recordings to electronic medical records.
iStethoscope Expert app is compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch. I think apps like iStethoscope Expert app will continue to improve and add features that would make easier for you to carry our basic diagnosis by using your smartphone. I would encourage you to post your views on this app for continued improvement.