Inflammation is part of biological response of vascular tissues to harmful stimuli, such as pathogens, damaged cells, or irritants. Inflammation thus could be a protective response. It could also be used as a marker to know which part of the body is being affected by harmful stimuli, so that one could target and treat it. However, chronic inflammatory diseases like appendicitis, peritonitis, and systemic sepsis could be lethal. Red wine has shown promising healing properties in dealing with inflammations. And now a study conducted in Scotland and Singapore has confirmed that resveratrol in red wine is a potential anti-inflammatory agent.
More about the study
The study was done on two groups of mice.
- One group of mice was pretreated with resveratrol while other was not
- These mice were then dosed with an inflammatory agent
- Examination of these two groups showed that mice pretreated with resveratrol were resistant to inflammation, while ones untreated developed inflammation
The tissue samples from the two different groups of mice were analyzed and it was concluded that
- Resveratrol used “one-two –punch” mechanism against inflammations
- Administrating resveratrol blocked the body from synthesizing Sphigosine Kinase and Phospholipase D, biochemicals responsible for triggering inflammation
alt="" width="317" height="254" />
These studies thus concretely established the role of resveratrol as an anti-inflammatory agent
Apart from red wine some other sources of resveratrol are
- Red and purple grapes
However, one should pay attention to the fact that once these items are heated the amount of resveratrol in them diminishes drastically.
The revelation and confirmation of mechanism of how resveratrol could possibly act as anti-inflammatory agent has opened new doors in the arena of drug science for designing resveratrol based anti-inflammatory drugs and to test its analogues for the similar effects. And red wine, which is already known to have a great deal of therapeutic potential, has once again surfaced as a medicinal asset to contribute toward the healthy life.