Driving Under Influence (DUI) is a serious offence in the United States and there is an on going debate, how much regulation should be put forth by authorities on ban or restriction on drinking and driving. I think concept of designated driver is a good one that puts pressure on people to have someone who can drive safely than having a limit of alcohol in blood. There is always difficult to prove scientifically, what is safe limit and then it is difficult to implement such a law.
Russia is working on implementing a ban on drink-driving. Russia’s lower house of parliament, the State Duma, has approved a complete ban on drink-driving.
- Heavy drinking is seen as one of the main reasons why one in three Russian men dies before retirement age.
- Russia has one of the world’s highest rates of traffic accidents linked to drink-driving.
- In Russia last year more than 2,000 people were killed and around 18,000 people injured in road accidents attributed to drink-driving
- A total ban was in force in Russia until July 2008, when the law was...
amended to allow alcohol content of 0.3 grams per litre of a driver’s blood.
- Duma deputy Tatyana Yakovleva, who is a doctor, said a driver with even the legal limit of blood alcohol was twice as likely to have a serious road accident, compared with an alcohol-free driver.
What does opposition say about drink driving ban?
The people opposing the total ban say that more often the traffic accidents are due to poor roads. The drivers are trying to swerve into oncoming traffic as they try to avoid potholes.
The current proposal of drink-driving ban is expected to be approved in the upper house and become law.