Regular exercise has been considered the secret for active and healthy life. People who are active, live longer and feel happy. Exercise can help people to ward off the heart problems, diabetes, cancer and other diseases. Most people need at least 30 minutes of moderate physical activity, at least five days per week. John Ratey, Harvard Medical School psychiatrist and author of the book, Spark: The Revolutionary New Science of Exercise and the Brain mentioned that “Exercise is the single best thing you can do for your brain in terms of mood, memory, and learning”.
Recently U.S. News & World Report revealed five ways that exercise can enhance your brainpower:
1. Reverses the detrimental effects of stress: Exercise helps you to blow off tension by increasing levels of soothing brain chemicals like serotonin, dopamine, and norepinephrine. Among them Serotonin is considered as happiest neurotransmitter in the body. Exercise may actually work on a cellular level to reverse stress’s toll on your aging process.
2. Lifts depression: Exercise can reduce symptoms of depression as effectively as antidepressants, if person is able to burn off 350 calories, 3 times a week as per a new study. Exercise stimulates the growth of neurons in brain regions, which are damaged during depression.
3. Improves learning: Exercise enhances the level of brain chemicals called growth factors. These chemicals help in making new brain cells and establish new connections between brain cells to help us learn. According to German researcher, complicated activities like playing...
tennis, taking a dance class can improve the capacity to learn by enhancing attention and concentration skills.
4. Builds self-esteem and improves body image: Studies suggest that when you see your fitness improvements, like running faster, lifting more weights, it can improve your self-esteem and body image.
5. Leaves you feeling euphoric: High-intensity exercises can leave you with a feeling of euphoria. Researchers recommend running, biking, or swimming as fast as you can for 30 to 40 seconds and then reduce your speed to a gentle pace for five minutes before sprinting again.
There are 1,440 minutes in every day. Try to schedule 30 minutes of them for your physical activity. If you are enthusiastic for exercises to build your abs and biceps, you will be getting extra incentives in terms of reducing depression, improving learning, feeling euphoric etc. However if you have been inactive for a while, you should start slowly might be with a brisk walk. If it is a fun for you, you will more likely be stay motivated and active.