It happens many times when we feel so sleepy all over the day and fail to shake off the feeling of sleepiness after all efforts. For some people, excessive sleepiness actually gets in the way of daily work and leads to dissatisfaction. Researchers define this condition as Hypersomnia or excessive sleepiness. Although sleeping is one of the most important part of life to be healthy, but excessive and recurrent feeling of day time sleepiness is not healthy and disturbs day to day work.
There can be various reasons for day time sleepiness but it majorly starts with less night time sleep. Here are some tips to avoid day time sleepiness:
- Heavy lunch: Try to avoid having a heavy lunch. Heavy lunch will make you feel sleepy. Instead have a heavy breakfast and go lighter on the lunch. Also make sure to have regular and consistent mealtimes, it will help regulate the circadian rhythms. Plan to finish eating meals two to three hours before bedtime.
- Get adequate nighttime sleep: Night sleep is very important for everyone to get a healthy and active life. Some people may need seven hours of sleep whilst others need nine hours of sleep to be active. So take seven to nine hours of sleep per your bodily requirements. You also might have noticed that when you have good sound sleep last night then you fell no sleepiness after lunch or any time around noon. So you must ensure that you get adequate sound sleep at night.
- Set a consistent wake-up time: People who have problem sleepiness are often advised to go to bed and get up at the same time every day, including on weekends. It will help to regulate the circadian rhythm or sleep wake cycle of the body.
- Don’t nap late in the day: Late afternoon napping can make daytime sleepiness worse as it can interfere with nighttime sleep. Eventually your next day will be less active.
- Regular Exercise: Regular exercise approximately 30 minutes a day offers...
multiple benefits for sleep. Exercise, especially aerobic exercise, generally makes it easier to fall asleep and sleep more soundly. Exercise also gives you more daytime energy and keeps your thinking sharp. Avoid exercising within three hours of bedtime.
- Take a Walk: Whenever you feel sleepy, get up from your work station and take a walk for few minutes. Getting fresh air outside help you to keep away from feeling sleepy. Short walks during the course of your work day can help you to be active.
- Brighten up your work space: Messy desk can be boring and make things monotonous that can make you feel sleepy. Brighten up your office space by cleaning up your cubicle. Put some good photographs of your friends, family or port star. Placing posters, flowers or any other ideas which can brighten your work place can keep you active.
You must have seen TV commercial of 5 hour energy, wherein question is asked, how your day feels at 1:00, 2:00, 3:00 PM and so on. Energy drinks can make you active, but these drinks are not good for your body in a long run.
If you are excessively sleepy consistently during the day, even when you sleep well at night, you might take an appointment with sleep specialist to see if you have a sleep disorder such as narcolepsy or sleep apnea, a breathing problem that occurs during sleep. According to health experts, undiagnosed and untreated sleep disorders are probably the greatest cause of daytime fatigue and sleepiness.